- When was Get Lit founded?
- Get Lit was founded by Diane Luby Lane in 2006 in Los Angeles. It started in three high schools, Fairfax, Fremont, and Walt Whitman Continuation, and now we are in over 100!
- What is the mission of Get Lit?
- Get Lit – Words Ignite fuses classic and spoken word poetry to increase teen literacy on the page and in visual media. We cultivate enthusiastic learners emboldened to inspire social consciousness in diverse communities.
- What is the core message of Get Lit?
- Get Lit's poetry and film curriculum engages young people by providing a creative outlet, community, and real-life work experience, transforming students into activists, scholars, and stars.
- Is Get Lit a national organization?
- Most of our schools are in California, but you can buy the curriculum for your school out-of-state and start the program anywhere!
- Who are the Get Lit Players?
- The Get Lit Players (GLPs) are an award winning, professional performance troupe comprised of teenagers from high schools throughout Southern California, and selected through a competitive audition process. The Get Lit Players travel across the nation performing both classic and spoken word poetry and inspiring their peers. They have collaborated with John Legend, Queen Latifah, Questlove, and more, and they have performed at the Kennedy Center and even the White House!
- Who are the Literati Fellows?
- The Literati Leadership Core is our newest troupe, the best of the best of our Get Lit Players who graduate and go onto college…our “rockstars.” It is a professional development program designed to prepare these older youth (18-22) for effective and ethical leadership. They will graduate ready to put their talents to work, acting as catalysts for positive change in our community.
- What is the Drop-In Program?
- Drop-in classes are open every Saturday from 10-2 to youth ages 13-19 of all experience levels to hone their writing and performance skills.
- Who are Get Lit’s funders?
- Assuming you mean grants and major funders, yes?
LAUSD Arts Education Branch
California Community Foundation
The California Endowment
Ralph M. Parsons Foundation
California Arts Council
City of LA Department of Cultural Affairs
Skylight Foundation/Milgard Foundation
LA County Arts Commission
Hollywood Foreign Press Association
L.A. County Supervisor District 1, Supervisor Hilda Solis
Wells Fargo Foundation
Dwight Stuart Youth Fund
Rosenthal Family Foundation
City National Bank
Muskin Family Foundation
The Marc and Eva Stern Family Foundation
Trivas Family Foundation
- I want to join the board!
- We are always looking for people who bring particular skill sets to our Executive, Advisory, and Young Professionals Boards. If you are interested, please reach out at email@example.com.